Monday, September 24, 2007

I Found You (On My Way To Me)

I found her on my way to becoming myself. At the time, it didn't seem all that unusual to me. We were eighteen and the world made perfect sense. Why shouldn't I have found my soulmate and she hers? Wasn't that the way it was supposed to be anyhow?

Twenty-seven years later (and counting), I have come to understand just how truly blessed I was. When I count the marriages that have disintegrated around us, I am astounded, not just that we made it this far, but that we are both still glad we did.

When you are eighteen, you are not even you yet. You are still learning, growing, evolving, developing. That two kids just barely old enough to vote could say "I do" in 1980 and think, "yeah, I still do!" in 2007 is nothing short of a modern day marital miracle.

I would love to take credit for that accomplishment. Trouble is, I can't. I have failed her in so many ways and so many times. I have given her more than ample reason to toss in the towel, say she gave it the old college try, and make the best of what is left of herself. But she has no quit in her. She still believes, hopes and loves.

Some will chalk it up to good fortune, the planets aligning, or just plain stubbornness. I tend to feel the same way about my good fortune as Abraham's trusted servant felt when given the ominous task of seeking a suitable bride for Isaac. When he found the beautiful, trustworthy Rebekah, he praised his God and said, "I being in the way, the Lord led me..." [Genesis 24:27, KJV]. The elated servant found his girl on the way to find a girl.

Hey, I was just on my way. And along the way, I have often gotten in the way. Still, the Lord led me.

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

No comments: